35 Lessons from my Grandmother

Growing up, my siblings and I had the privilege of living in the same town as my paternal grandparents for our entire pre-college lives. My grandparents have always been a fixture in my day-to-day routine. I'd see them at least once a week growing up. Now, away from home, I call them all the time. Growing up they were at every recital (my Grandma even taught me piano), at every play, at every sports game, and at every birthday party. I have been beyond lucky to have their support.
My grandparents have also always been and remain my biggest heroes.

Today, I'd like to take a little time to list just a few of the lessons that I've learned from my Grandmother.

  1. Family is most important. 
  2. Music is one of the most powerful forces in the world and can heal broken hearts.
  3. You can't expect to get any better at something if you don't practice. 
  4. Send handwritten thank you cards-- and often. 
  5. When in doubt, always go for Mexican food.
  6. Exercise often and for your entire life. 
  7. Prioritize family history-- including your own personal history. 
  8. Marry someone who honors and respects you. 
  9. Never stop snuggling with your spouse.
  10. --or holding hands in public. 
  11. "If you can read, you can cook."
  12. Nothing makes you feel better when life gets hard like service. 
  13. When life gets hard, fight harder.
  14. Magnify your callings.
  15. Never stop doing the things you love. 
  16. Friends are friends for life. 
  17. Friends are family. 
  18. Take joy in the successes of those you love. Root for each other. 
  19. If you're not being treated well, have the courage to leave and look for something better.
  20. Be ready to adapt. 
  21. Share your talents freely. 
  22. Teach others what you know and help others grow.
  23. When you're good at something, let your talent speak for itself. Never boast.
  24. It's not important whether you win or lose-- it's important to be with those you love.
  25. Your children are always your children. 
  26. Support those you love by showing up. 
  27. Fluffy and sparkly things are the best. 
  28. Don't pay for something you can do yourself. 
  29. Never leave cantaloupes in a hot car. 
  30. A raisin-colored lipstick is always in season. 
  31. Travel. 
  32. You're never too old to ride a bike. 
  33. You can fully love adoptive (step, adopted, in-laws) family as your own. 
  34. Don't take life too seriously-- take time to have fun.
  35. If you are warm and kind to others, people will remember it-- and love you for it.
Wherever I go, when people find out that I am "Pat Crane's granddaughter" they always respond with "I love her!" I've had dozens of people tell me she is the nicest woman they have ever met. She is indeed an incredible person; and I feel so lucky to have her as a grandmother. 

Some may not know this; but I was adopted as a baby. Pat Crane is not my biological Grandmother. This makes me especially grateful. I am beyond grateful that God decided to give me the blessing of being in her family. 

Again I'll say, my grandmother is my hero. My only hopes are that she knows how much of a difference she has made in my life, how much I love her, and how much I've always wanted to be just like her. 


Love you, Grandma. 


Comments

  1. Oh maddie
    Maddie,
    What a lovely fitting tribute to
    your grandma. Include both of us in unison that your grandma was about the greatest person we've had the pleasure of knowing...and loving. She was a it of heaven and we have always looked up to her so very much and shelll always live on in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the most amazing family!! Pat Crane was a true gift from heaven!! I have absolutely no doubt that she is a ministering angel unto you! She watches over you and your whole family, whispering encouragement and inspiration when needed, just as she had done her whole life. What a tremendous lady! I'm grateful for the acceptance, grace, and love, she showed to me when we met. 💖

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment